The history of this area began in 1793 when an Irish American Loyalist, John Savage, decided to settle in what is now known as the Old Village, but was then called West Shefford. He became the very first inhabitant of the area and the founder of the town.
A few years later, in 1848, businessman George Adams decided to acquire the land in the village that still bears his name today, Adamsville, where he acquired a sawmill, built a flour mill and a general store. He contributed greatly to the industrial development of the village.
Settling permanently in the area, Georges built his house in 1855, which at the time was the only brick residence in the village. Although sold to the Dion landed family in 1929, the house still stands 166 years later. This Georgian cottage style building, in addition to having been the architectural landmark of the area at the time and part of the town’s heritage, is a perfect example of the Loyalist style that still transpires on the streets throughout the territory today.
However, it was not until the arrival of two entrepreneurs in 1964, the brothers Rolland and Germain Désourdy, that the town of Bromont was founded through the amalgamation of the village of West-Shefford and part of the village of Adamsville and its twelve annexations.